Feb 22, 2011

(Only one of each of us)

Two big things:

One: "Quadruple Fugue for String Orchestra", by Randall DeBruyn, is stuck in my head.  And has been for the past week and a half.  Especially the first subject.  Especially the part where the firsts have the first subject about two octaves higher than we've played it before and the seconds are doing the second subject and the thirds the third and the violas the fourth....
If anyone is reading this (XD Yeah.  Right.  Pfft) and knows what I'm talking about - that's really great.  If you don't know, come watch the TRL Orchestra competition on March 15 - it's in the Lakeridge auditorium, is completely free, and Lakeridge will be on stage as school lets out.

Two: "In this galaxy, there's a mathematical probability of three million Earth-type planets.  And in this universe, three million million galaxies like this.  And in all that, and perhaps more, only one of each of us." [Paul Schneider, for ST:TOS: "Balance of Terror"]

It's really hard to put into words exactly what this quote means to me.   It's kind of the summation of my beliefs, my inspiration.  It makes me feel special - valuable - on a sort of cosmic scale, connected to something larger than I have the power to truly comprehend.  It also makes me feel achingly small.
Part of me wants to work this into my concentration.  There's a few ways I could do that - but none of them would satisfy me.  This quote and, far more importantly, the concepts it represents, invoke emotions that I cannot visually represent and still feel as if I am presenting truth.  (It would be more natural - but never easier - to explain with words, to labor in "the agony and the sweat" of my heart with a pen and a piece of notebook paper.)

No comments:

Post a Comment