Jan 30, 2011

Concentration: Science Fiction

charcoal on paper

acrylic paint on CD, acrylic paint on record

acrylic paint on canvas

acrylic paint on "canvas" paper
The last three were going to be a quartet, all mounted on the same board, but I changed my mind.  The CD and record can be separated - it was just more convenient for taking a picture to have them both on the same thing.

7 comments:

  1. My favorite piece is definitely the third one; I love how you layered your paints and created a planet that was so full of color and texture. I also think the imperfect lines (especially for the ring around the planet) work with the abstract feel of the planet.
    For the CD's, I think you can do more with them - maybe mound them on another piece of paper that you paint on or how about on metal? That would be kind of cool. The CDs are painted well by by themselves, they're lacking purpose. Keep working hard on them!
    There are a lot of planets here, but maybe you can expand the science fiction idea more next time and move away from painting/drawing sole objects that come to mind when you think of science fiction. The qualities of these pieces are wonderful though! Good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Nina, my favorite part about the 3rd one is the texture, though it seems very "middle of page" to me. I wish it was going of the page or there was more going on in the picture, like more objects or something in the background.
    A critique I would have about the 4th peice would be that there is no main object to focus on (maybe you are planning on painting something in later?) But I like the vibrant pink and yellow colored planet.
    Something I notice when looking at picture of planets is that they all have one main source of light, so I think it would help make your peice feel more spacial if there was some source of light or value. Thats all, great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also really like the third one, but i also really like the paint on the CD's, however i think that it needs more of a background to tie them together and make it look like part of the piece. The third one has great texture but i wish that it would go off the page a bit, or the the circle would be perfect, maybe have some of the edges a bit messed up? The first and last one are ok, they both need a bit more contrast so that they don't blend quite so much..and on the last one i was a bit confused on what to look at, but i love that they were going off the page.
    overall, i think that they look great and I think the planets will look good together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must agree and say my favorite is the third one. The texture reminds me of all the debri orbiting the planet, and the color reminds me of all those poisonous gases we'd be breathing in if we were to land on it. As my imagination tells me. Anyways, it might be nice if it went off the page or...well, something funky goes on in my brain when I see it. Perhaps it is due to the way the top part of the planet curves up from the ring on the bottom edge, specifically on the right. Or perhaps it's because the ring feels 3-dimensional while the planet feels flat. Perhaps add some shading to the planet?

    On the first piece, you've got some great value. It has this dreamlike quality to it with its smooth, flowing lines. I get a great sense of movement from the background, like the boy is standing before some shifting portal. But at the same time, I feel like the left side needs something. The drawing is nearly cut in half lenghtwise where the boy ends.

    On the fourth one, I feel like it doesn't really have a focus. But I like how you used the vibrant colors to pull one planet out in front of another, and also that they're going off the page.

    On the CDs, I thought it might be neat if you drew something over them, or made something of a sculpture out of them. I guess I just want to know more the CDs.

    Okay, I'm done. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oops. I meant "more about the CDs."

    ReplyDelete
  6. i also like the third one the best! the composition is really interesting. i think you nailed it this month. i really like the way you have pushed your concentration...i feel like as corny as it sounds, you showed a lot of growth! i like the colors you are using in the fourth one but i am not sure how i feel about the middle being so empty. the charcaol is really nice...it looks really clean and well done. the cd piece is the one that i feel like could use the most work...the white space is very white and makes it feel like it hasnt been finished. looks great taylor!

    ReplyDelete
  7. TAYLOR! these are amazing! I love the first guy. You made him look science fiction-esque without the creepy, alien factor-- as if he were just a normal guy. Well done :) The record pieces are also really creative, I would have never thought of that. I like that you're not afraid to take risks with your art and try new things. It always seems to work out really well for you. As with everyone else who has commented, I'm a big fan of the third piece. Great job!

    ReplyDelete