... Was an adventure. Also (sorry Ms. McB) a bit of a waste of time. Well, I got a bit of valuable information (more on that in a moment), but the whole thing ate about three and a half hours of my afternoon - that's three and a half hours I could have used to work on things like my explication/synthesis mutation for AP English. Or my SQ3R for AP Euro. Both of which are due Wed. And I didn't get any homework done on Saturday, like I was planning to, because my parents had me babysit - but then stayed out three hours longer than they said they were going to.
Whatever. Enough griping. On with the epic tale of my adventures at OCAC!!!!
The third and final school I "visited" was OCAC (nonexistent line FTW...). I talked to Georgiana Neahl. She was nice I suppose. Didn't care about my art. Didn't want to look at my portfolio. Said I looked like a smart young lady and went on a spiel about OCAC and how it's such a good school and the standards are so low they only require one math credit in freshman year and of course that totally prepares you for a life in the real world and by the way did I want to go on a tour of the campus?
The second school I visited was PNCA. This was the good one. Really enjoyed it. The woman I talked to, Tracy, happens to be a sci-fi fan and thinks my concentration was pretty cool. She had some suggestions about how I could "articulate my thought process" better and some really cool ideas about elements I could include in my concentration and overall portfolio. She thought that my technical skills were good - pointed out some things that she thought I did well and some things that I could work on. She took the time to go through my stuff piece by piece, which was nice, especially when you compare it to the first school I went to...
... Laguna College of Art and Design, where I talked to Mr. Lumberjack Man. Mr. Lumberjack Man didn't have much to say about my technical skills. That's because Mr. Lumberjack Man was mortally offended by two things. First, Mr. Lumberjack Man thought that my pieces should have been either bigger or smaller - I refrained from pointing out that I happen to like my pieces the sizes they are and that art is subjective thankyouverymuch. Secondly, Mr. Lumberjack Man was convinced that all good art MUST HAVE A BIAS OR A MESSAGE. I asked him what was so wrong with a pice that just presents, unassumingly, and lets the viewer do something like, oh, I don't know, think for themselves maybe.
Mr. Lumberjack Man didn't have a good answer to that. Mr. Lumberjack Man said "you obviously don't have enough experience in the art world to know that the basis of all art is imparting your message to the world."
I told Mr. Lumberjack Man that "I have enough experience to know that I detest people trying to shove their opinions down my throat. I'm not going to do to someone something I don't like done to me."
I thought about pointing out that while overwhelming messages have their place - like when the artist is trying to raise awareness about a political or social issue (and don't get me wrong - I totally enjoy spitfire shocking art like that) - there's also art that exists mainly to look at and maybe have a bit of an emotional transference. Like Monet's Water-lillies: they make me feel calm, but they impart no weighty social commentary or political analyzation.
But Mr. Lumberjack Man just said I was young and disrespectful.
I proved him wrong by being respectful and not punching him in the face.
Mr. Lumberjack Man was pissed anyways.
No comments:
Post a Comment